Monday 16 January 2012

Tales of frost and sunshine in Segur


 
It’s the dead of winter in Segur le Chateau. The leaves, long departed from the trees, now carpet the frozen ground. Most mornings one can find them decorated in fragile crystals of ice. The last few days here have been well below freezing, but the air is still. The day lit sky is bright blue, while the night sky is a sea of stars.

Pia, a friend and colleague, has been visiting. We’re working together on some writing projects, and have been spending our days between brainstorming (while nursing the logburner), and exploring the woodland trails around the village. For inspiration, procrastination, and to ensure we appreciate the warmth that the little logburner is pumping out.

Showing new friends and old friends around Segur, and witnessing their response, is one of my favourite idle pleasures. Rambling Segur has a certain impact on our guests. Some are immediately captured by the medieval feel, and rustic charms, others wonder aloud how on earth we found this place.

Despite the still cold encasing Segur, on our walks we encountered deer, buzzards, wren, and finches, all happily wintering in the Correze. So I thought I’d share with you some of the scenes of winter. I seem to have developed a certain infatuation with frost, photographing frost covered – ivy, leaves, logs and bridges. There’s something about sunlight, radiating the icicles, that captures my imagination, forces me to stop in my tracks, stair at my feet, and put my camera to work.

I hope you like the pictures!  





3 comments:

Patricia (La Chatte Gitane) said...

Beautiful !

Unknown said...

Why have you not been wild swimming?

Melanie said...

thanks for stopping by Patricia! ChrisGmail do I know you? If not, let me tell you it was very, very cold. Furthermore that lake is a good 20mins brisk walk from the house. In other words, too far to trudge home from, wet and cold!